Extracorporeal magnetic innervation for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence: Results of two-year follow-up

Hoscan M. B., Dilmen C., Perk H., Soyupek S., Armagan A., Tukel O., ...More

UROLOGIA INTERNATIONALIS, vol.81, no.2, pp.167-172, 2008 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 81 Issue: 2
  • Publication Date: 2008
  • Doi Number: 10.1159/000144055
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.167-172
  • Süleyman Demirel University Affiliated: Yes


Introduction: Extracorporeal magnetic innervation (ExMI) is a relatively new technology used for pelvic muscle strengthening for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. We aimed to evaluate the clinical efficacy of extracorporeal magnetic stimulation for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. Materials and Methods: A total of 30 patients with demonstrable stress urinary incontinence were enrolled in this study. All were neurologically normal with normal urinalysis and none was pregnant. Evaluation before treatment included 3-day bladder diaries, a dynamic pad weight test, urodynamics, and a validated quality of life survey. Treatment sessions lasted 20 min, twice a week, for 6 weeks. After ExMI, all measures were repeated at follow-up including 3-day bladder diary, dynamic pad weight test, urodynamics and quality of life survey. The follow-up was done at 3, 12 and 24 months after ExMI therapy but urodynamics were performed only at first follow-up. Results: After ExMI therapy, 8 out of the 27 patients were cured (29.7%) and 13 patients were improved (48.1%) at 3 months. The cumulative success rate was 77.8%. Six patients did not show any provement after treatment. Pad weight was reduced from 14.4 +/- 10.7 to 6.5 +/- 5.1 g. The mean score of quality of life survey at baseline was 61.6 and this increased to 75.4 at 12 weeks. The effect of ExMI approximately continued until the 1st year after therapy but gradually decreased and came close to baseline at the 2nd year after therapy. Conclusion: As a result, ExMI therapy offers a new effective modality for pelvic floor muscle stimulation. ExMI also offers a noninvasive, effective and painless treatment for women with stress urinary incontinence. Further studies are needed to address how long the therapy will continue and benefits will last and whether retreatment or continuation therapy sessions will be necessary. Copyright (c) 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel.