Spontaneous vaginal delivery or caesarean section? What do Turkish women think?

Atan S. U., Duran E., KAVLAK O., Donmez S., Sevil U.

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NURSING PRACTICE, vol.19, no.1, pp.1-7, 2013 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 19 Issue: 1
  • Publication Date: 2013
  • Doi Number: 10.1111/ijn.12029
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.1-7
  • Süleyman Demirel University Affiliated: Yes


The aim of this study was to describe women's feelings, attitudes and beliefs about different modes of childbirth. A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted at the obstetrics clinics of Ege University and Dr Ekrem Hayri Ustundag Obstetrics and Gynaecology Hospital in Izmir, Turkey. Three-hundred forty-two women who had given birth via spontaneous vaginal delivery (SVD) or caesarean section (C/S) between June and December 2009 voluntarily agreed to participate. Fifty-seven per cent of participants were aged 2024. Sixty per cent of the women (n=205) had undergone C/S during their last delivery; among these women, the birth method of 90% (n=185) was decided by their doctors, whereas the remaining 10% (n=20) made the decision themselves or with their partners. Sixty-three per cent (n=250) of women who underwent C/S said that if they gave birth again, they would prefer to deliver via SVD. Eighty-eight per cent (n=300) of women wanted the legal right to choose their birth method. Although the rate of C/S was high, most women stated that if given the choice, they would prefer a SVD if they had another child.